Saturday, October 08, 2005

Bratislava Continued

We spent the next day checking out Bratislava. The old part of the city, which the Germans called Pressburg, has many historical attractions, and is quite beautiful. Of course, while I went through that part of the city, I didn’t have my camera, so I will refer you to this...


One thing I really regret not getting a picture of is the “Cage of Shame”, where women who had done things that they should have been ashamed of were put in order to maximize their shaming. Here is a picture of a typical Cage of Shame.



I couldn't find a picture of the Cage of Shame in Bratislava. Shame on you, Internets!

There are many nice parts of Bratislava that I actually did take pictures of, here is a small selection.





Later, we went to the Museum of Folk Costumes, which was very interesting. Each small region has their distinctive folk costumes, which were illustrated by this poster:




Afterwards, we went out for an authentic Slovakian meal (for tourists).
Here, I had my first experience with halusky, the Slovak national dish. It is basically squiggly potato pasta, tossed in a (non-pasteurized) sheep’s cheese cream sauce, and topped with bacon.



Although it looked like it had already been eaten, it was great, and tasted a lot like Kraft Mac and Cheese (for the stove, not the Velveeta version for the microwave) topped with bacon. Which, if you think about it, is a great idea. Here is a link to the recipe, try it at home.


I also had a goulash quesadilla, but it really didn’t do anything for me.


After that, I went to the train station, and hopped onto what I thought was the train to Presov, my new home for a year. Did I make it? Well, obviously, but I’m trying to add a little suspense as a literary device…

2 comments:

M.L. said...

Please feel free to leave pithy/asinine comments, but keep it clean, as Grandma might be reading this...

Anonymous said...

Keep the food photos coming. I love mac and cheese with bacon. at least, i imagine id love it if i'd ever eaten it.