Thursday, November 17, 2005

Happy Students' Day

Today is the Day of Students in Slovakia, which celebrates the Velvet Revolution of 1989, when Czechoslovakia freed itself from the Soviet Union. Here is some interesting info on today's holiday.

The weather here has turned very cold, and Presov is known for being particularly windy. If you're interested to see just how cold it is, here's a link to the daily forecast. I need to get some long underwear.

Today I received another excellent e-mail from a student. I don't know what precipitated this question:

Dear (_____),

will you please explain to me what "break the balls" means? There is no chance to find this phrase in the dictionaries.

Thanks,

(____)

PS: Have a happy Student's Day. :o)


I think she means "bust your balls", but I'm not sure. I'm afraid I may have said this in class, otherwise she could have heard this watching a Czech translation of "Pulp Fiction". Who knows.

I recently went to Vienna and Budapest, where I took a lot of pictures which I would like to show you all. I'll work on it this week, but here is a preview:



And still no clear winner for the Caption Contest, entries will be accepted for one more week. Good luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're breaking my balls Mike, you're breaking my balls!