Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Cribs: Slovakia

For those of you who are interested in what the typical East Slovakian apartment looks like, this is your lucky day. The school set me up with a sweet pad, which is rented to me by a very nice lady named Valerie. Let me take you on the tour!

First, there is the hallway, or the foyer, or whatever you want to call it. It is where I hang my coats, so I call it the coat-chamber, to make it sound fancy:



Please note the sunflowers, official state flower of the great state of Kansas!

Next, to your left, you will find the kitchen. Valerie stocked it with everything an excellent chef like myself would need, like a spaghetti strainer. I cook at home quite a bit, and have developed some creative dishes. My personal favorite is the Tuesday special macaroni and frozen vegetables with olive oil, served with a dusting of salt. Bon Appetite!



Next, the bedroom. If this was a real episode of Cribs™, I would point to the bed and tell you "this is where the magic is made/checks are cashed/business is transacted", or something to that effect. For me, this is where "the sleeping gets done" if you catch my drift, and if not I mean that I just sleep there:



An interesting feature of Slovakian apartments is that the toilet is not in the "bathroom", but instead has its own little space. Here's mine. I like to keep the seat up, just because I can:



Next is the living room, which is really big with two very comfy couches. They both have pull-out beds, for visitors and what-not:



I have a TV, which has basic Slovak cable. I watch a lot of MTV Europe, which is a little heavy on the t.A.T.u. and Green Day, but they play repeats of "Pimp My Ride" in English, which helps. Even better are the almost daily showings of the Slovak version of "American Idol", which translates roughly as "Slovakia Chooses Its Next Superstar!". There are also three different versions of the show "Big Brother", which play at the same time. I am not joking.

Valerie is, without question, an excellent decorator, and she has a healthy obsession with Florida:



My favorite part of the apartment, however, is this. I call him Lobo. Valerie was quick to assure me that he does not have fleas:





It really is a great place, way too big for just me, but I won't complain. The best way to really get to know this apartment is to come visit, so come on over and check it out (but bring your own towel).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to see a picture of your shower / bath tub. I spent some time in Brataslava teaching at Comenius University, and the shower was SOOOO small. Please let us see your shower :)

M.L. said...

Well, I don't usually do requests, mainly because I never get them. However, I am willing to make an occasional exception, and will try to work a shower photo into the next post. You taught in Bratislava? I assume we don't know each other, which would mean people besides my Mother are reading this. Maybe I should start using a spell checker...